Monday, February 22, 2016

A Week for Chickens

  Its day 14 of incubation!!  4 more days until we stop turning them and up the humidity!  Then its 3 days until they hatch.  Oh the excitement.  I candled a few and they look good.  Lots of movement.
  Ok, so this week we are taking pretty much everything off except for like math, bible, and a book we are reading so we can focus COMPLETELY on working on the coop.  We are going to read books, watch video's on You Tube, google stuff, and draw up some plans.  Hopefully- maybe- we will start work on the coop.  We've got a workshop/barn and my dad, after originally saying no, agreed to let us use a corner in the bottom/barn area.  (The shop part is in the top.)
  We're going to cut a hole in the wall that leads out to the grassy area that we had planned as using as a run.  A run is where you can let the chickens out.  I'll tell you all more as we get to that stage.  But usually it is a fenced in area with chicken wire all around and above it, with a wooden frame.  I'll put a pic at the bottom.  At least this way the coop wont take away from my basketball area.  (We had planned on putting the coop on this concrete square which is also where my basketball hoop is.)  Man, I love basketball.  I hope the chickens love it too because I will be right by them when I play.
  That's about it for now.  I will try to get another post in if we do anything major.  Maybe put a pic of our designs up when we do them.


  Random thought: I sometimes play my saxophone right by where we incubate them...  Will it effect them any?  I know that if you play Mozart while you are pregnant it can make the baby smarter (It did me!  LOL), but will it do the same for chickens?  Or would it, if I sounded better?  I am on my 5th month after all.


  See you all later!!

     Emma

P.S.  I'm working on a video on candling the eggs but I still need to edit it.


2 comments:

  1. The run will get covered in poop after awhile so you can use fallen leaves spread around in the fall to help, plus the chickens get to eat the bugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexi!! I will mention that in my next post... Maybe I will do it on coops. :)

      Delete